April 19, 2012

My Magnolia


I spent most of the day in the garden.  It was beautiful and sunny and 21 degrees (over 70 Fahrenheit).  But we had a cold night and my magnolia blooms were touched by frost.  It breaks my heart to see the delicate blooms with crumbly brown edges. At least, there are enough beautiful buds like this one that there should still be a good show (unless we get more frost!)

I put some of the cedar mulch I bought yesterday to good use.   I edged and mulched the oval garden that has my magnolia tree in it.  This is a tree that I  bought for my mum for Mother's Day a few years ago.  It was so small then that it fit in the backseat of the car.  Now it is almost 10 feet tall.


I added a couple of my lovely metal stakes for the delphiniums and my china bird bath.


The birds love the bath.  It makes me laugh out loud when I sit in the sunroom and watch them have big splashy baths.   Sometimes there is even a line-up!  They will wait patiently in the magnolia tree for their turn.


There's not much in bloom yet except the lungwort (and the dandelions) but I keep checking each day.


Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you and getting to know you.