May 21, 2012

Happy Victoria Day...

...or as it's commonly known in Canada, the May 2-4 weekend.  This is traditionally the weekend to open the cottage, take your first camping trip or start planting your garden.  I fall into the last category and have been working on the garden sporadically all month.  There's a lot to do after all the neglect it suffered last year but the lilacs are in bloom...


I can smell their sweet scent as I'm writing this.  I wish I had scratch and sniff for you.


I took my coffee and my camera for a stroll through the garden this morning (and yes, I was still in my PJs).  I think the neighbours are used to it.  My Japanese tree peony opened its buds into full flower this morning.


They are stunningly beautiful.  No photo editing here - just a border added.


My Star of Bethlehem opened today too.  So gorgeous but it flowers for such a short time...


I love scent in the garden but find so many plants have the scent bred out of them now.  I purchased a couple of highly scented roses for the garden that I will plant later when it's a little cooler.  Roses have not been a plant that I have much luck with but maybe this time will be different.  A couple of days ago, I was sitting in my willow chair on the front porch waiting for my sister to arrive while I enjoyed the view.  The scent from the lily of the valley was just intoxicating.


The cats are really enjoying the garden too.  Every time I go out, there is a pathetic little face pressed against the screen door.  This is the only time you can get Finn to stay still when he is awake.  Usually my pictures of him look like this...

Lucy just follows his lead but mostly spends her time lying in the shade...


Happy Monday,

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you and getting to know you.