May 06, 2012

Sunny Saturday in Southern Ontario


It was a beautiful sunny day in southern Ontario with a light breeze.  Perfect weather for working in the garden which I wanted to do as soon as I woke up.

But there was necessary shopping to do today first. My coffeemaker bought the farm as they say and I cannot start my day without coffee.  There was much discussion of the merits of various coffeemakers.  We were replacing a Tim Hortons one and I had decided to try something new.  I didn't want one of the cheapie $30 ones - I've already done that.  Various friends were consulted on the single serve "cup" models that I see many bloggers touting.  I decided we drank too much coffee and often are trying to serve coffee to 8 or more people at a time to go that route.  We decided on the Kitchenaid coffeemaker because A) I have many Kitchenaid small appliances and have always been happy with the quality and B) it was on sale at Canadian Tire this week.  I'll be trying it out tomorrow.


The day was not wasted however as I did get out in the garden for most of the afternoon.  I got some more weeding done, hung up 2 bird houses, rescued one cat from the gingko tree and started my container planting.


A great vintage wheel barrow I bought.  I was planning on planting directly into it but decided I didn't want to put drainage holes in it and it is too shallow to add enough gravel to the bottom to properly drain.  This way I can move containers around however and whenever I like.


And if you haven't already guessed, I played around with some photo editing today.  I am a total neophyte when it comes to photography and was always intimidated by photo editing but I listened to my blogger friend, Claudia http://www.mockingbirdhillcottage.com/ and expanded my horizons.


My magnolia was a little burned by frost but it still looks pretty good...


And the grape hyacinth is out in full bloom...


One of my favourite flowers; the official flower of Ontario, the trillium is in full bloom in the woodland corner of my garden...


This fall I want to plant scads of tulips.  Right now I have only a few stragglers in the garden...


I hope you enjoyed the picture show and I hope I'm not too sore to work outside again tomorrow...good night.

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you and getting to know you.